Check out our easy tips on How to Make a Galaxy Jar Decoration below! Have you ever had extra mason jars just sitting around in your house, waiting for the perfect time to be used? Or had that urge to make a craft that would look great in your room? Well, this is the craft you’ve been waiting for. You can make this in under an hour and come out with a beautiful galaxy/nebula/calming jar!
How to Make a Galaxy Jar Decoration
What you need:
- 1 Mason Jar
- at least 2 contrasting colors of paint (I used pink, purple, and blue acrylic paint)
- cotton balls
- 1 empty toilet paper roll
- gold and silver glitter
- Fill 1/3 of the mason jar with water.
- Put a few drops of one color of paint into the jar, put the lid on, and shake to mix the paint and water up.
- Stretch out the cotton balls and push them to the bottom of the jar with a plastic fork, knife, or Popsicle stick. Keep on going until the entire bottom and sides are filled with cotton – as I did this I learned that the more cotton balls you use, the better it will end up looking. The cotton balls also help keep the paint in place as you add more colors.
- Every once in a while as you are putting in the cotton balls, sprinkle in some glitter – the more the better! (Maybe even between each one-cotton-ball layer)
- Now place the cardboard toilet paper roll in the middle of your jar – this helped the cotton balls stay more to the side once you’ve built that base of the bottom, and will help you to use less cotton balls as you go because you don’t have to fill the middle up as well even though you won’t see it. (It’s okay for the roll to get wet – it will)
- Fill another 1/3 of the jar with water and put in a few drops of a contrasting color of paint into the jar, and mix it up again.
- Repeat steps 2-4, pouring the paint, glitter, and cotton balls around the cardboard toilet paper roll (so you can see them).
- Once you’ve filled up a good amount of the second third with cotton balls, fill up the final third of the cup with water, but maybe don’t go all the way to the top because the cotton balls take up room as you add them into the jar.
- Repeat steps 2-4 again, this time with a different color of paint than the last round (if you’re doing 2 colors) or with another color entirely (if you’re doing three colors), still pouring, sprinkling, and pushing around the empty toilet paper roll.
- Finally, once you’ve filled up the remainder of the container with cotton balls, take a pair of scissors and cut off the top of the empty toilet paper roll, if there is any still poking out of the water, and push down 2-3 more cotton balls on top of the cardboard toilet paper roll. (again – it’s okay for the roll to come apart/fold a bit as you cut it)
TA-DA!! Now you have a beautiful galaxy jar that you can put anywhere – from your desk to your nightstand to right next to the kitchen sink! Enjoy!